Wednesday 30 April 2014

Packing for a city break: The Makeup


My third and final post in this weeks trilogy about my mini-break to London is looking at the most exciting thing of all, the makeup that I packed to take with me! My packing brief was simple: I wanted long lasting formulas for the long days but versatility so that I could pick and choose each day.

Base

Where would I be without my beloved Double Wear (Pump from eBay) from Estee Lauder? It sits well on my skin, and lasts all day. I use the shade Cool Bone which is a perfect match and looks unexpectedly natural for a full coverage foundation. For concealing I took the Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer as I think it fares equally well for under eye circles as it does from blemishes so that saves a wee bit of space, and for powder I took my trusty Rimmel Stay Matte powder. I use the translucent shade and it sets my base in place without ever looking cakey.

Eyes

It's no secret that I love black liquid eyeliner, however I've been trying to mix it up a bit more recently and have been playing with some eyeshadow. I took a small amount of each so that I had the choice for each day. My number one travelling eyeliner is the Bourjois Volume Clubbing eyeliner. It is super black, super easy to apply, waterproof and lasts all day. For the eyeshade option I took the tiny Rimmel Brixton Brown pallet as it has some great colour options, plus the lightest shade can be used as a highlighter and the darkest is fabulous smudged onto the lash line as eyeliner. For mascara this also needed to stay all day long, so I went for the No7 Stay Perfect mascara in Black. I find that this stays on so well and doesn't smudge or flake over the day, even if it is a bit of a pain to remove at night! And, of course, for brows it had to be my HD Brows palette in Vamp, again the colour lasts all day, plus the lighter shades can be used as eyeshadow if desired.

Lips and Cheeks

Normally this would be my biggest section but I managed to keep it slimmed down this time. I really don't need four different blushers for a three day trip! For the sake of simplicity I took my new No7 Pop and Glow cream blusher in Classic Rose. This is such a simple and easy product that is perfect for travelling. I took two lip options, both from Revlon (haven't they been killing it with the new releases the last few months?). My daytime option was the Lacquer Balm in Demure, a very soft pink gloss with a hint of shimmer, if you haven't tried this yet then you need to, it's such a beautiful daytime colour. For evenings I went with the Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey. This is another pink but a bit darker this time, and I find that it dresses up an outfit for the evening perfectly without being a bold lip.

And there we have it! I threw all of these into my beautiful Alpahbet Bags makeup bag, and added a few of my Real Techniques brushes to see me through. The selection worked perfectly for the time I had each morning and lasted well throughout the days.

What makeup essentials do you take away with you?

Jen x


No comments:

Post a Comment